Encouragement Speaker Derrick Hayes gives a DERRICK Interview by asking 7 questions through each letter of his first name to give you an insightful perspective from other experts, entrepreneurs, celebrities and up and coming super stars.
Today’s DERRICK Interview is with Rick Daniels who is the Manager of Student Life at Rock Valley College. He received his bachelor’s in Journalism from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in 2008 and his Master’s in Higher Education in from the same institution in 2011.
Today, Rick’s personal mission is to empower, impact and encourage the lives of students everywhere. He speaks on issues concerning leadership, diversity, Greek life, and is considered by many to be one of the best event hosts in the country; having hosted events for the National Black Greek Leadership Conference, The National Step Show Alliance, Disney youth Programs, and colleges and universities across the nation. Rick is happily married and a father of three, Christian, Madison, and Morgan Daniels. Rick is currently on the Go Hard or Go Home Student Leadership tour his personal mission to impact the lives of students at over 50 colleges, universities, high schools, and community organizations nationwide!
D is for Dream. What is your dream, goals or what have you achieved?
* I have many dreams! However the two most pressing are moving forward in the field of higher education and continuing my speaking/writing career. Throughout my short career I have been blessed to receive two degrees, a B.A. in Journalism and a Masters in Higher Education. I am also the author of Tap Dancing Without Shoes: The History of Stepping and the Impact on Greek Life and Popular Culture. I’ve also been fortunate to launch a successful speaking tour, the “Go Hard or Go Home Student Leadership” tour. This platform has enabled me to speak to over 150 colleges, universities, and organizations worldwide.
E is for Education. What is your educational background and how do you use it daily?
* As previously stated, I am blessed to have two degrees to my name and will be attending Northern Illinois University in the fall to pursue my Doctorate in Educational Psychology. I use my education daily in my position as Student Life Manager at Rock Valley College. However, I’ve learned more behind the desk than I ever did in the classroom and therefore learn something new each day, which compliments the education that I have already received.
R is for Resource. What resources do you bring to the table that makes you unique or stand out?
* The best resource I can offer is my story! As a former student leader, I have been able to use my personal story to uplift and encourage students across the nation to keep moving forward in their educational journeys.
R is for Ready. When did you realize you were ready for what you are doing now?
* The very first day on the job. As I pulled into the parking lot I heard the still, small voice of God tell me that this was where I was supposed to be.
I is for Individual. Name at least one individual in your network that others should learn more about and why?
* James Robilotta. He is an incredible speaker who has a truly inspiring story on leadership. Anyone who comes into contact will agree that he is a genuine spirit.
C is for Challenges. What challenges have you had to overcome?
* My biggest challenge was overcoming the mindset of failure and complacency that plagued my thinking upon graduating high school. I was fortunate enough to grow up with all of the ingredients of a good home but made the decision to slack off in school, which seriously hindered me when it was time to move forward with my education. I overcame this by reversing the previous decision and making the conscious effort to succeed no matter what!
K is for Key. What keys to success can you leave for upcoming entrepreneurs and leaders?
* Decide to be a success! Success and failure in life often come down to decision making and strategic planning. Some people make the decision to be negative, to be lazy, or to fail! The key to success is deciding that no matter what, I will move forward and I will win!
Visit Rick Daniels for more information.